Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Catch Up!

Every year the last month of school is always so crazy busy. That is why I am still a bit confused that we decided to move in the last week of May. We just moved across the street, but that doesn't make things much easier. Here are a few pictures from the past month. Dance recitals, plays, Memorial Day BBQ, and field trips.

I do get a break this weekend, all the girls in my family (Mom, Courtney, and Kenzie) are headed to Portland to help Kenzie find a wedding dress. She is getting married August 16th in Boise. I will include a picture of the two of them if I can find one.


Hannah and her buddy Quinn Our neighbor Chloe, Quinn, and Hannah
This is Kenzie with Austin- She would kill
me if she knew I was using this pic. Her eyes are shut
and she just got home from Utah. But the point
of the picture is who she is marrying!
( May be deleted soon if forced)

Spring Tea at Hannah's Preschool



Felicity's School Play
Sawyer at BBQ


Now for a concern. The picture below is Hannah at her field trip to the fire station. Since the time when we found out about her hearing loss and she went through about six months of virtually constant doctors appointments, she has become afraid of any non-descript office building. She is afraid it will be a doctor's office or hospital. Last week, I was at a property management office because we are renting out a house and I just had to drop off paper work, and she would not go in the building. She even got tears in her eyes at one point. I try to avoid the situation whenever I can because it really scares her, but these two times they just came up unexpected. I tell her it's not a doctor but it helps very little. And at the fire station as soon as she walked in the building she said no thank you and wanted to leave. She sat on the curb while the rest of the kids got to go in the fire truck. I feel awful for her and keep hoping she will grow out of it. If anyone has gone through a similar phobia with any of their children and have found ways to help the situation I would appreciate any tips you could pass along. This summer we are thinking about Hannah getting a cochlear implant in her other ear and I am really worried how that will happen with her current fears.

11 comments:

Nate and Heidi said...

what a beautiful family you have!! we especially loved your new house. we were so impressed by it. the secret door was my favorite part. sawyer seems like such a content little boy, he was so cute! it was nice to meet your family- we sure enjoyed the time we spent with you guys. nate has been ranting and raving about your potatoes-- you guys make some pretty mean meals up there in oregon! hope all is well for you. -Nate and Heidi

Kylie said...

Hey Britt -
I can't believe that McKenzie is getting married! I think in my mind she will be always frozen in elementary school.
My heart goes out to you with Hannah. That must be so tough seeing her be scared like that. I remember my brother going through the similar circumstances since he was born with club feet. I don't have any advice but I will keep you in my thoughts.

Red Bed Head said...

Britt, I had no idea that Hannah had that fear! If instances like the property management place come up just drop her off with me. Sure made for a cute picture though.

Hethrjem said...

Poor Hannah! I hope she can overcome that problem.

Wow, I remember when McKenzie was a 4-year-old in my Mom's primary class! Congrats to her!

jrnelson said...

It's amazing how our childrens emotions rip at our heart strings and we will do anything to make them happy! How sad that Hannah missed the fieldtrip but what do you do? I hope that you can figure out how to help ease her fear!
I agree with the craziness of school ending! Janie is the only one is school right now and the last week was hectic with all the programs and field day, I don't think I was home much at all that week. I'm glad that it's over and not sure what to expect next year when Reid will be in school as well. Have a great day, oh, I would love to see pictures of your house!

Schagel Family said...

I am sorry I don't have any advice for Hannah. I thought that I would since Jacob practically lived in the hospital or doctor's office for the first year of his life. He was starting to get a little terrified of the doctors, but then the doctors somehow mad it fun for him to be there. They let him do part of the check up on them, so that he felt like he was a doctor. He really liked that. Maybe it was because he was so young at the worst part that he doesn't remember much of it. Jacob's biggest problem with dodctors is the needles. One time he actually ran out the door and down the hall into another room and was hiding under the desk to get away from the doctor. It was really sad. Sorry I can not help you out. It is so tough seeing you own kid hurting.

Anonymous said...

Dear Britany, I was trying to figure out who Sawyer looks like now and he looks like Travis' mother!! Maybe Travis too!

I am sorry to see Hannah sitting and scared of professional office buildings, but she has a legitimate fear. A few positive experiences with nice people in those buildings would probably help but thats hard to have when you're getting new implants this summer. If it will help Hannah in the long run... versus short term panic, that is the question... Nothing easy in life. Talk to your doctor and maybe a mild sedative for Portland? Nice firemen outside the building for school excursions. Love Aunt Janice

misha~sha-sha said...

Hadley went through a little bit of the doctor fear... I started making our doctor's visits a special occasion. We would always go somewhere fun, like the zoo, a favorite restaurant, a toy store (I know, it's bribery, bad parenting, all that) as soon as we were finished at the doctor. It gave her something to look forward to. I also had a special backpack that I packed a few books, coloring books, cool crayons, stickers, treats, etc. and they were set aside for our doctor days. I know that may not help overcome the fear but it could help make some future visits exciting for her!

Anonymous said...

Brit,
I agree with Janice. Talk to the doctor (ie the specialist nurse who works with the doctor) about it and get some ideas. Phobias are phobias so they are illogical. Trying to talk her out of it only makes her afraid there IS something wrong with HER. I'd come up with a plan with the doctors nurse...as doctor's don't have time typically to make a plan for anxiety. Maybe a little sedative would be a good idea, for office visits, and alot of sedative (given in the hospital by anesthesia so she doesn't remember procedures or exams). What she needs is some positive outcomes. Where she thinks she was in charge. And letting her make decisions when possible.

And she does look cute!

Happy2Bme said...

I see that you're a famous 4th of July runner now. Well, at least you were running behind the right guy! :)

Megan said...

My heart bleeds for poor Hannah! Best of luck with that. I just remember Mackenzie's baptism, I thought it was hilarious because right after being baptized she started chasing my brother and Devin around the church and calling them names! I can't believe she's getting married..congrats to her. Your kids are adorable!